Sunday, January 21, 2007

Family

Today I had the pleasure of sitting with my family at church. It has been a rarity since I was about 10. My parents and I don't go to the same church so I hardly ever get to worship with them. I am really glad that I got the chance to do that this morning. My parents and I are very different and I could even see in church today that we worship a lot different too. My first thoughts were negative of course. Like why are they so critical, why are they so spacey, why are they so talkative, why don't they pay attention, why do they ask so many questions, why don't they listen, etc, etc. But then after thinking about it...I am "they". I am a product of who they are. I am who I am because of who they are.

I learn to appreciate my family more and more everyday. I truly believe that God gave me to my parents because He knew that I would do my best by being raised by them. Am I saying that everybody has perfect parents and everyone grows up to be perfect? No, there are parents who neglect their kids, who abandon and abuse them. But I believe that God gives parents their children because the children have the most potential with those parents, whether the parents live up to their potential is their own choice. I don't know if that makes sense but I do know that God knew each and every one of us before we were in the womb. That he created every part of us. And I trust that He knows which child should go with which parent.

I love my family. I'm not saying I agree with everything they do and say or that it's always easy communicating with them or that we always get along perfectly. But I know that I would be much worse off without them. I am blessed to have the loving family that I do. I am blessed to have spent those moments in worship with my family this morning. I hope someday that my entire family will worship together in heaven, that we will get to spend eternity together with God.

As a side and ending note my dad made the comment that today he felt the most comfortable at my church than he ever had before. What a nice thought, people being comfortable in church...its something to work toward.

No comments: