Friday, January 11, 2008

Creation

I started the last semester of my college career this week and it's got me thinking quite a bit about my life. I'll be honest, I'm a little scared. In less than four months my life is going to change, a lot. I've been preparing myself to graduate college my entire life and it is now upon me, I am living it right now. What's next? What will I be preparing myself for and working toward after I graduate? What lies ahead? I'm just letting you in on a few of my reflections as of late.

Most specifically this week, I've been thinking about creation. I saw the movie PS I love you, which was really sad but good. Most of the sappy love stuff hasn't stayed with me, but what did stay with me was a conversation the couple had when they met. The girl was in college and trying to figure out what she was going to do with her life and said something along the lines of each of us are to create something with our lives. We get a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment when we create something from within ourselves. It's a part of ourselves that we share with the rest of the world. That could be art, music, socks, anything.

Another creation idea from this week came up in my lighting class. Yes, I'm taking a lighting class. It's about stage lighting...or something, I'm not really sure just yet. Anyway, an article we read for class talked about how light isn't just a thing, it's not just a task for the designer but it has an element of livingness to it. It has energy and it breathes, it's alive. It is a living creation of the designer. This creation comes from within the designer and so it's not separate from them but it is part of who they are.

So I wonder, what am I creating with my life? What is it that I have to offer and share with the rest of the world? Were we created to create? Am I living into the person I was created to be? As a creation, how do I represent my Creator?

There are no easy answers to these questions, if any. And really, there's no smooth transition into a conclusion for this entry. Because there is no conclusion to these questions. I think I'll continue to wrestle with them for the rest of my life. I fully anticipate and fervently hope that the answers will continue to change throughout my life. We'll see...

1 comment:

Mike Adkins said...

You provide friendship with your life. I, for one, am grateful for at least that much.